Contact: tdharvey@hotmail.co.uk Or Follow On Twitter @TimDavidHarvey

Monday 21 December 2020

REVIEW: EMINEM : MUSIC TO BE MURDERED BY (SIDE B)


5/5

Psycho II. 

Dear Slim, thank you for giving us a music project. 2020 needed this. All the Stan's needed this.

Where to begin? From the sample of Alfred Hitchcock, to the last track of the B-Side taking me back to some old school Shady with a Dre on the boards type track. Probably on my 60th play through from start to finish and it's safe to say he is the Rap God for a reason. I mean once again he does what only Eminem can. Which is sandwich rhyme schemes and punch lines that will leave you laughing or thinking, "did he really just say that"? I mean I'm not the only Stan that literally think's "damn there is no one on his level". Some in his eye come close like in the track 'Favourite Bitch', were he gives a shout out to J. Cole and Lil' Wayne, which was amazing to hear because second to Marshall, J. Cole hits that silver spot in my top five of all-time. From that track its on to the DJ Premier feature in 'Book Of Rhymes', which has got to be one of my favourites off the album.

Ok Fan Boy calm down and let the Poet start speaking my views. Matter of fact you can fall off the deep end.

There is a reason artists don't come at Marshall and if they do well....look at MGK. I mean he has had to change genres to pop punk after he tried to go at the the Rap God and just like the 'Killshot' that took him out this B-Side of 'Music To Be Murdered By' is stacked with that many lethal bars. Anybody would be stupid to go at him, but to be honest that's not why he has done it. You can tell by the style of tracks that Eminem is just doing what he does best and well letting his alter-ego Slim Shady take the reins.

In what is the lead track 'Gnat', he effortlessly takes a run at breaking his own records with the fast flow. Granted it’s not like 'Godzilla' or 'Rap God', but his flow acrobatics are just as effortless. Some that truly have you listening and  picturing a mic drop once the final bar is spat.

Notably tracks that stand out for me from a production stand point include 'Guns Blazing', which sounds like it’s got Dre not just featuring with a verse, but on the boards to. It even makes me think that they could have been tracks that were recorded for the infamous 'Detox' project. Next up I have the track 'Higher'. The beat takes me back to old school Shady Aftermath days.

Hey I completely agree.....

Shut up Fan Boy no one asked you. Poet's talking. Now let me round this up while you get to walking...

Now when it come to the lines that made me want to quit music all together (with Gods bars that most of them) these off of the track 'Favourite Bitch's' first verse really made me say, "f### it. I'm done. Game over!"

"And I know nothing is funny 'bout the Manchester bombing/But we got something in common (What?), both of us are alarming/Foul, disgusting, and awful (Yeah), so repugnant and ugly (Yup)/I could give the Boston Marathon a run for its money”

I mean the above makes you say, "s### did he say that!" Then when it all clicks at what he structured for that last bar of that, combined with the fact it’s no holds barred in terms of subject matter, there is only one thing that comes to mind......Slim Shady. DAN STOCKER and the REAL POET. 

No comments:

Post a Comment