Contact: tdharvey@hotmail.co.uk Or Follow On Twitter @TimDavidHarvey

Friday 27 September 2024

REVIEW: SERJ TANKIAN - FOUNDATIONS EP


3.5/5

System Of A Foundation

Painting a picture of beautiful album artwork in broad strokes on the same New Music Friday that Lady Gaga gives us her surprise 'Harlequin' Jack-in-the-box album accompaniment to the forthcoming 'Joker' sequel, 'Folie à deux'. System Of A Down's very own Serj Tankian gives us the 'Foundations' of his new EP. Intended to be a compliment to the memoir he's just released, 'Down With The System'. Serving as the boldest Takian's been since is 'Riot' of a duet with Wyclef Jean, off the Fugee's 'Carnival Vol II.' classic follow-up, these five tracks are a "retrospective of songs from different eras in (his) life as Serj puts it for collection of music and lyrics from previous decades, rewrote to making this acclaimed autobiography all the more amazing.

Waking up with the rebellion to 'A.F Day' in opening, you know what it all means. Singing along strong, "I borrowed rent today so I can let my body stay awhile/Twice sorrowed by mistake for the color of my step seems too dry/The Ruby of the north is red yet it's green for the blind consent of our time". But before you complain that this is "another f#####g moan" (oh, the irony), 'Justice Will Shine On' in the form of a protest we should all pay heed to, right now. "Can you tell me dear grandmother of your childhood from hunger and pain/Of the orphans you called brothers in her teared eyes disarray?/Can you tell me my grandson she said why this country won't recognize that day/Of the genocide of your fathers?/Believe me, grandma they will pay." Generations haven't learned. It's time we all did.

For the better of this world, these 'Appropriations' are a same song sung for those who still deserve their reparations. Don't be fooled by a 'Cartoon Buyer' who might tell you, "You see me without emotions/I see you across the oceans/We see us but we are them today/You see me after your potions/I see you across the oceans/We see us above these notions." The downtimes are over. We need a new system for 'Life's Revengeful Son'. "The final revolution will occur when the arms of the clock fall/Jesus seen in the streets/Dragging a car axel/Instead of the cross/Souls betrayed from life's/Revengeful son/But I know I won't die tonight/Fields ablaze from life's/Children that cannot grow/But we won't die tonight", Serj sings for hope amongst the harrowing. Tankian has always tried to take us to a better place with his way. A system of a change. Foundations for the future. TIM DAVID HARVEY.

Playlist Picks: 'A.F. Day', 'Justice Will Shine On', 'Life's Revengeful Son'

Spin This: System Of A Down 'Toxicity'

No comments:

Post a Comment