Contact: tdharvey@hotmail.co.uk Or Follow On Twitter @TimDavidHarvey

Saturday 25 April 2020

SONG FOR THE MOMENT: KATIE-ƎCHO

4/5

Echo Chamber. 

Zoning like 4 o'clock in the morning. 'Thinkin' 'Bout You' (yeah you). Middle of the night, further East in Japan, trying to write a love song in the same anxious, yearning beauty of vulnerability vein as Maggie Rogers' 'Say It', 'Tahlia' by King Princess, or Haim's 'Night So Long' and the perfect, signature hit from Katie comes on. "Yeah, I don't know why you're messing around with all them other girls/Acting like you've got all of the time left in the world/I promise that if you were mine I'd never let it go to waste, hm/I can tell that you've been hurt before I know because so was I/I know you feel the energy when you look in my eyes/Can you tell the way I feel? I'm obviously yours to take/Because it's 4 o'clock in the morning/And that's about the time I start zoning/Thinkin bout all the ways that I want it/And it's time that you know, you know, you know." If only it was that simple, hey? Singing on the top of a car like Aaliyah...one in a million. But now the South Korean singing sensation Kaite Kim, who shows us that the soul of Seoul music is more than the K-Pop juggernaut BTS or the haze of Heize is back after the 'No Instructions', 'Future Love' and 'Love Kills' songstress that you'd be 'Better Off' listening too, made a killing-let alone a living-on all killer, no filler covers of today's biggest hits to round out her last album (Cambila Cabello's 'Senorita', 'Old Town Road' by Lil Nas X and Khalid's 'Talk'). And the 'Remember' singer who busked one of her biggest hits underground in New York's Subway, before getting hot rapper Ty Dolla $ign to fly over for the music video-let alone jumping on the remix-for the infectious song with the dolphin sound, returns with 'Echo'. Yeah you heard right, 'Ǝcho' is echoing.

LOG this one in your quarantine playlists right now, because we need music at this time more than most. It's like you could taste it. "What have you done, to me/When I hear your voice, it drives me crazy/Ooh, crazy/Thinking about you, lately/Boy, you've been on replay in my mind/And I don’t mind", she sings on the velvet first verse like the rising, right now star she shines as like. Talking about butterflies like Mariah Carey hitting everytime like she does...Katie, not just Mariah. As Kim Bridges the gap with a pre-chorus that will have you singing along, "And I hope you can catch me if I'm falling/'Coz I'm full speed ahead and I just can't slow it down/And I want you to say, so I can just say it out loud/Right now, right now" hooked. Just like the turquoise doorway, 80's futurist trend of this artist artwork lead you straight through toward her latest stunning single and it's neo K-Pop, new age R&B classic chorus line of, "Coz every little thing, all the little things you do/Noticed I'm different when I met you/Something 'bout you, you/Makes me want you, you/Could’ve shut it off, show you out if I wanted to/Bouncing off the walls like I need you/Something 'bout you you, you you/So tell me if you're falling/Like I'm falling, for you/'Coz I'm saying if you do, saying if you do/Echo, Echoing/So tell me if you're falling/Like I'm falling, for you/'Coz I'm saying if you do, saying if you/Echo, Echoing." The Axis of world music is about to change again with this one. Hitting straight out the 'Echo' park, all the way to the home of the Academy award for Best Picture, 'Parasite' Oscar.

Movie like trailers have been teasing this music video drop all week like the album that will surely follow like the amount of Facebook, Twitter and Instagram users about to Spotify suit. As cinematic as they come. Pink roses surround Katie sitting between American muscle, for a black convertible, hearse like in a Batman mirroring modern cave lair whose white lights turn into a blood red room as her heart bleeds for her male lead, suited and Brylcreem booted like the dark knight. And in this chess not checkers, artistic hallmark video to go with the best of her rest, six shooting like the smoke from a revolver. Just wait until she opens the boot like they closed her rose filled coffin on the dead of night 'Thinkin' 'Bout You' movie. Calling home on a payphone in the remote Route 66 like highway middle of somewhere in the tumbleweeds of California, with poolside fashion, this is someone who puts as much in her visual design as she does her music. Let alone style and swagger like RM and those Bangtan boys. This whole clique clip is squad goals. Even if you ride solo like your best friend is the only one you can trust in the end...the echo of yourself. Part 'Thelma and Lousie', other part American Gothic by nightfall. Bathing in a bathtub of bullets for this 'Bonnie and Clyde', Katie explores more edits in the desert, camera work, traditional textures and typography all whilst being surrounded with a classic choreography of dancers who in this locked down age should be at least six feet apart, but remind us during this social distancing how good it used to be and how much we can't wait for it to always be again. As we dance to this song that will echo in the roaring twenties of what this year was supposed to all be about...together. And in this stars trek as spaceships straight out of the EVE online game that all us geeked out nerds will be playing right now in software social quarantine introduce this visual in hyperspace, the star wars between American and Korean pop music has begun with friendly fire. This video may be Hollywood, but the landscape of music mainstream has long belonged in a southern state of Seoul. Now how's that for a future love worth thinking about? TIM DAVID HARVEY. 

No comments:

Post a Comment