Contact: tdharvey@hotmail.co.uk Or Follow On Twitter @TimDavidHarvey

Sunday 18 July 2021

REVIEW: WILLOW - lately I feel EVERYTHING


4/5

Willow's Wisdom.

Whipping her hair and then shaving it right off on stage, Willow Smith has come a long way since her 2010 smash single when she was just 9 years old. She's now 20...feel even older yet my fossils? Whilst her proud pops (some guy called Will, who has an autobiography of the same name out this year that we just can't wait for) is flaunting his Dad 'bod on Instagram, all whilst becoming a YouTube sensation. Bringing his family round the Red Table Talk for some real home truths with wife Jada and son Jaden who pursued his own 'Happyness' after their family affair movie with his own leads ('After Earth'), music and even his own water. The family business is good, but ever since her cameo in 'I Am Legend', the youngest who Will once sang the perfect love song, 'Willow Is A Player' for ("what make it so crazy, I met her through my wife") has made her own one with arguably the biggest career. Even outselling some of her first Grammy Fresh Prince pops biggest hits over 'Summertime' to truly BOOM, shake the living room. Her coming of age, child star single was so huge. Everyone was whipping their hair back and forth (that's how real good it was). Even Bruce Springsteen duetting with Jimmy Fallon's Neil Young for a folksy Late Night cover that actually worked...wonders. But that was then...this is now. And it's the Wicked Wisdom of her mother that knows best. Jada Pinkett-Smith (who has been close in heart to hip-hop icons in friendship and love like Tupac Shakur and Smith) has her own heavy metal band. And it's this sound that this defiant and definitive daughter homages in all the hallmarks of this throwback record for your tape decks.

Pop it in because if after last year you are left saying, 'lately I feel EVERYTHING' then this album of the same name is for you and has got you too. From the fish eye periscope of the nu-metal like clubbed video of 'TRANSPARENTSOUL' in all it's transparency. Smoking with blood red war paint across her eyes. Blink-182 legend Travis Barker featuring on the skins like he does across this album. "I don't f#####g know if’s a lie or it's a fact/All your little fake friends will sell your secrets for some cash (Hey, hey)/Smile in my face, then put your cig out on my back/If you ever see me, just get to runnin' like the Flash/I knew a boy just like you/He’s a snake just like you/Such a fake just like you/But I can see the truth/Transparent soul I can see right through, just so you know." And just so you know, if you don't think she's got you on that stealing your cigarette, the 36 second 'F### You' that's all she's got will confirm that kill. All by 'Gaslight' with Barker were she takes on men's (or women's) manipulation with her own mind. "I had to tell her just stop messing with my head/And love me instead/It's not official but I think it's common sense/Or am I insane/I blew out the gaslight, now I feel a different way/I'll just love me instead/Love me instead/Love me instead." This amazing self-actualisation over anxiety riddled angst is the break-up anthem of the year as Willow leaves what wilts her on the floor with all that dreaded hair. Ready to be swept away from the barbers floor with the rest of the clippings. Critics or press trying to gossip hound her sibling, this sister, or her parents. 'Don't Save Me' she says as she rocks out on pop punk. She can take care of that herself, singing, "I don't really think that I can do it all alone/But I tell them, "Don't save me"/I was gonna leave, I was off it/But I don’t really think that that’s an option now/Gotta fight my own battles to get stronger/I just say, "Don't save me" over inspired instrumentation. Never 'Naive'. Writing her name in 'Lipstick' on the bathroom mirror and engraving it on platinum plaques. This sounds as good as the time Agent Smith in 'Men In Black II' revealed the late, great Biz Markie (rest peacefully) was an alien by beatboxing with him.  Rocking for Roc Nation like Jay-Z over 'Wonderwall' guitar. This Willow makes her guitar more than gently weep.

Black.Girls.Rock like Res and this is one for the six strings, don't fret. You'll feel all of this. All of 'Everything'. Coming of age and coming home as she sings on the Ayla Tesler-Mabe assisted 'Come Home', "I can’t bear you gone/Oh, you’re my stars and sun/A force in the room, of course they're confused, you’re stunning/Just wanna let you know/When I look back, I just want you back/Don’t know how to act, you were cool with that part of me/You love me naturally." It's about time for the star of the family, stealing the show from this Hollywood like Bel-Air, but real like West Philly family. Someone who hit the stratosphere sooner than even the freshest of Princes. Jada's Wisdom seeping through the strings, it's justice for the wicked ways Willow's mothers band was treated by metal heads. Weighing heavy on the family like the head in the hands 90's rock artwork of this fresh selection of cuts, no doubt. Scorned for giving the middle-finger to the crowd at one festival, critics ignore the fact that prior people in the crowd were flashing Nazi salutes at Jada. Ignorance may know no line, but believe like you do in family that real rock knows no race. Isn't that right Jimi?! Jada deserves the seat at the table she took and the guidance that helped Willow carve a career of her own in her honour. '4Ever' like, Willow...one name is all you need. Although she does her last one more than proud. Anything else is 'Xtra' for the rapper who has kicked in the door and is now bringing back  hip lyrics to go with rock like, "Imma need to switch up on the game like woah/PCH cruisin', got the pedal to the floor/If I pull up then you know it's true/You don't make the same effort when I'm tryna see you/'Cause this ain’t workin' out like a hundred-pound bench press/It might get me down but it's in my best interest/'Cause honestly" with Tierra Whack. Or the 'GROW' monster collaboration with Barker and Avril Lavigne who were singing about 'Skater Boy's' and 'All The Small Things' when Willow was in diapers. But pride of place she belongs right next to these two legends who also changed the scene. Just like her mama and papa. Another anthem for the new youth, no longer lost, finding gems like this, "I’ve been putting work in, healing myself/Still got room to grow/I’ve been really searching, emotional wealth/Honestly my heart is broke/I just need to grow, grow, grow/Grow, grow, grow/Grow, grow, grow/I just need to, I just need to grow." Rise with this one and rage against the music machine, because this beautiful 'Breakout!' is complete with Cherry Glazerr ("I don't wanna be chained down, chained down") over a half hour of hard rock, all killer, no filler. Willow really is a player like Will's way. Lately, it's her game now. TIM DAVID HARVEY.

Playlist Picks: 'TRANSPARENTSOUL (Feat. Travis Barker)', 'Gaslight (Feat. Travis Barker)', 'GROW (Feat Avril Lavigne & Travis Barker)'.

No comments:

Post a Comment