Contact: tdharvey@hotmail.co.uk Or Follow On Twitter @TimDavidHarvey

Friday 3 November 2023

REVIEW: JUNGKOOK - GOLDEN


4/5

The Gold Rush.

Winners never quit. RM went in with 'Indigo', like a J-Hope 'Jack In The Box', or a Suga 'D-Day'. The 'Face' of Jimin, and the recent 'Layover' of V completes the set after BTS' break, aside from the mandatory military service of Jin. And now one year after singing for the 'Dreamers' of the 2022 FIFA football World Cup with an amazing anthem, Jungkook gives us his 'Golden' debut album ready for a certified platinum plaque that will hang from the Big Hit offices. This half-hour, all power and killer, no filler is a golden opportunity to capitalize on the pop power of his South Korean K-Pop giant ARMY and his own Seoul power. Featuring guests like Major Lazer, Latto, DJ Snake and rapper and 'White Men Can't Jump' remake actor and superstar Jack Harlow, who even standing next to 'Kook in' 3D' can't stand out quite like him. Although he doesn't for a second phone in his guest verse from the booth. "You my bae, just like Tampa/Speakin' of bucks, I got those/And as for f###s, well, not those/And as for thots, well, do you really wanna know?/I thought so/I'll fly you from Korea to Kentucky." You need glasses to see star shines like this in red and blue. Nah, let him Kook!

'Standing By You' in sweet solidarity, and the clean and dirty versions of 'Seven' with Latto seal the preceding gold singles. The 'Golden Maknae' and youngest member of BTS gets 'Closer To You' with Major Lazer. The Calvin Klein model like BLACKPINK's Jennie also begs you 'Please Don't Change' with DJ Snake. But in this modern world of toxicity when it comes to matters of the heart, he can only deal with a break-up be declaring 'Hate You', such is our young life in love sometimes. "So I'm gonna hate you/I'm gonna hate you/Paint you like the villain that you never were/I'm gonna blame you/For things that you don't do/Hating you's the only way it doesn't hurt." I understand, believe me. We all do. But there's a better way, and on this green and gold artwork like Lianne La Havas, that lies in the truth of 'Yes Or No', for the open-suit, naked ambition of the young king. He bares it all on some. Of the closing, most compelling tracks on the set, but not before he brings even more big hits for the tops of your future charts. "When you go out in the night/You're under the lights/Oh, I hope to find somebody/Hope to find somebody to ride/Somebody to die/Oh, I hope to find somebody/I hope you know that somebody ain't me." In the golden frame when love is just a game, he's simply looking for 'Someone'. 

Someone to love like Queen, so he's no longer 'Too Sad To Dance' in this club. "Last week I found a message in a bottle/It said go home ain’t nobody love you no more/I can’t disagree/So last night I went to the club/Had a couple too many threw up/Now everybody’s laughing at me." This one stings like The Police, or the next drink he takes arrested in the club like all our 20s looking for that forever love in a world looking for a less complicated status that isn't waiting for something better to come along. That's what makes 'Shot Glass Of Tears' the best and most brutal hit on the album. "It's a hard pill to swallow/This emotion, I bottle/Need somethin' strong for the sorrow/Somethin' strong for the pain, so I can wash it away/I was cold, now, I'm freezin'/Stuck in a permanent season/And we both know you're the reason/I'm not the same as before, I don't feel anymore/Tell me, am I ever gonna feel again?/Tell me, am I ever gonna heal again?/Got a shot glass full of tears/Drink, drink, drink, say: Cheers/I got all these diamonds runnin' down my face/And I ain't lettin' any of 'em go to waste." This kid's just 26 years old. In another quarter-century he'll have an army worth of albums, whether solo, or with his squad. He's already lived the life of the wildest dreamers. These moments are golden. TIM DAVID HARVEY. 

Playlist Picks: '3D (Feat. Jack Harlow)', 'Standing Next To You', 'Shot Glass Of Tears'. 

No comments:

Post a Comment