Contact: tdharvey@hotmail.co.uk Or Follow On Twitter @TimDavidHarvey

Friday 19 July 2024

REVIEW: CHILDISH GAMBINO - BANDO STONE & THE NEW WORLD


4/5

Lando Stone

This, right here, is it. Finito! Done. Rocking a Spam cap (because, the internet? Or canned meat?), and a Hawaiian shirt Tom Selleck's moustache of Magnum P.I. would be proud of, all whilst holding a chicken pensively, watch out! This is the fifth and final album from Childish Gambino. Mere weeks after he revisited '3.15.20.' for the amazing 'Atavista' reissue (but for as much as I love the 'Final Church', I wish I could still hear the sermon of the sensational '53.49'). It all started with 'Camp' for the 'Community' and 'Atlanta' actor who showed us 'This Is America' between many classic LPs, EPs ('Summer Pack', and...well, 'EP') and many mixtapes. And it ends with 'Bando Stone & The New World', for the Lando 'Star Wars' star and Marvel Prowler. The soundtrack to the upcoming movie of the same name that you can preview in some inspired interludes here that sound hilarious.

'The Bandalorian', feeling like summer again, with this pack that has vibes of the 'Mr and Mrs. Smith' player's prime time in the Amazon with Rihanna for 'Guava Island'. Collaborating with the likes of Chlöe from that famous Disney family ('Survive'), Amaarae and Flo Milli ('Talk My S###'), Jorja Smith ('In The Night', also with Amaarae), Legend ('Can You Feel Me'), Yeat ('Crusin''), Fousheé ('Running Around') and Leon Bridges' favourite under the 'Texas Sun' and moon, Khruangbin ('Happy Survival') for his latest, greatest classic. 

Lit up by the lead single 'Lithonia', 'Bando Stone' feels like a black superhero in the 'Predator' forest, rocking Luke Cage yellow. This brave new world samples 'Breathe' by The Prodigy, starting that fire on 'Got To Be', with Luke's 'I Wanna Rock', right now. Kermit's African alphabet on 'Can You Feel Me'. The 'Happy Survival' of Ifeanyi Eddie Okwedy & His Maymores Dance Band on said song. Glover's own '0.00' on the all-affirming 'We Are God' and even the video game effects of Undertale on the outstanding opening of the f#####g fantastic, 'H3@RT$ W3RE M3@NT T0 F7¥ '.

Classic, like the cover of amazing artwork. All the way to the beautiful swan song of 'A Place Where Love Goes', Gambino's last gambit is the coolest cut of the year. He even references the Japanese restaurant chain 'Yoshinoya', and if you don't know, now you better get yourself down there. But never fear in these last orders, after last week when hip-hop proved it was still alive after 50 years, thanks to part one of Common and Pete Rock's new collaboration ('The Auditorium') and 'The Death Of Slim Shady' by Eminem. In a 'New World' that is just as hallmark hip-hop as them, all whilst pushing the envelope, the coup de grâce here is that this is just the last album under the Childish Gambino moniker. Expect to hear more from Donald Glover soon, like 'Steps beach' and 'Got To Be'. Especially if it sounds as good as this high scoring, scorching soundtrack.

The stage-name may be retired, but this is not the end, like 'Atlanta' with this tentpole picture. If only we could get a Paper Boi feature on this trap hopping, R&B infused, indie pop, fresh feeling rocker. This perfect project of passion is 'Real Love' and maturity like, "It's clear that you're ever lovin', it's comin' from the heart/I never had anyone else to call on/It's clear that you're ever lovin', I knew it from the start/I opened my heart and inside was all gone/I never thought anyone else could be my friend/I'm lovin' you every day up until the end." Just definitive dedication from one of the world's most amazing artists across all platforms. 

There are 'No Excuses' here on the brink of a 'New World' world tour for the man that after saying he'd see us for the last Gambino album, told press, ""No one on their deathbed is going to look back and say, 'Thank God I avoided being cringe.'" And playing angel's 'Dadvocate', he gives us the greatest ode since Marshall Mathers' latest song for Hailie. "Know I'm smokin' in the morning 'cause I'm goin' five to nine/If I told you I was stronger than I looked, then I'd be lyin'/Got some dollars in my pocket and a quarter in my hand/You ain't safe bein' a woman and it's hard to be a man." It may no longer be childish, but Glover's Gambino, like Wu-Tang, is still for the children. TIM DAVID HARVEY.

Playlist Picks: 'H3@RT$ W3RE M3@NT T0 F7¥ ', 'Yoshinoya', 'A Place Where Love Goes'. 

Spin This: Childish Gambino - '"Awaken, My Love"'

No comments:

Post a Comment