Contact: tdharvey@hotmail.co.uk Or Follow On Twitter @TimDavidHarvey

Monday 26 August 2019

REVIEW: MISSY ELLIOTT-ICONOLOGY

4/5

Queen M.E.

Get UR freak back on. Because Misdemeanor is back and she said so. Now get your back off the wall, get your back off the wall like losing control with Ciara and Fatman Scoop. Because it's been almost 15 years since Missy Elliott's last album as she stirred the pot like the hairs on the chinny chin, chin of James Harden for 'The Cookbook'. But yet she still runs this as her music still makes you lose control. And after soundtrack bites ('Ching-a-Ling', 'Shake Ya Pom Pom') and other tiding us over tracks ('Best, Best', 'Triple Threat'). Not to mention starting a Superbowl 'Pep Rally' being brought out for Katy Perry's halftime show with some Baby Sharks. The hiatus is over like featuring on woman of the moment Lizzo tracks. Check the DNA test. And sure it's only an E.P. of five songs, one an acapella version (but best believe no one comes close to Missy who rides beats this good with her raps, when it underrated as such comes to singing over nothing so beautifully for her twin skill set), but when it comes to a legend who used to be expected to release an amazing event album each fall like Jay-Z we'll take what we can. This is not a test! Wake up! Elliott is home. The late, great Aaliyah (we miss you Baby Girl...this game would be...is nothing without you), titanic powerhouse producer Timbaland and R&B legend who dances before Usher and Ne*Yo, Ginuwine Superfriend has more classics then your favourite rappers favourite rapper. 'Supa Dupa Fly', 'Da Real World', 'Miss E...So Addictive', 'Under Construction' and 'This Is Not A Test'. And that's just the albums. What do you know about, 'Get Ur Freak On', '4 My People' (and the banging Basement Jaxx remix), 'Work It', 'Gossip Folks', both the Ludacris and Hova versions of 'One Minute Man', 'Pass That Dutch', or 'Lose Control'. Or how about 'Beep Me 911', 'The Rain', 'All N My Grill' and 'Sock It 2 Me'. Who's setting off all those fireworks. Because forget who's the D.J. Missy 'Misdemeanour' Elliott has more bangers than Guy Fawkes. 'She's A Bitch' you say? Yeah, don't get so 'Teary Eyed'. And dry them because when it comes to Nicki or Cardi B. With all due respect we say Missy. And now the icon is here to stay with 'Iconology'.

"Walk up in this thing (Thing), I be on my game (Game)/If it's competition ('Tition), I put them to shame (Shame)/Different kind of chick (Chick), we are not the same (The same)/I raised all these babies, call me Katherine Jackson ('Son)/Please don't steal my style (Style), I might cuss you out (Wow)/What you doin' now (Doin'), I did for a while (While)/Missy, Missy, Missy, go 'head, let it slap (Slap)/I'ma snatch they wigs 'til I see that scalp (Scalp)/Booty, booty clap (Clap), flyin' across the map (Map)/Lambo on the block (Block), lookin' like a snack/I'll show you how I do it (Do it), show you how it's done (Done)/Don't look for another Missy 'cause there'll be no 'nother one." BOOM! Now watch her 'Throw It Back' in highlighting pink for a Harajuku neon video that's right there with the iconography of her classic 'Get Ur Freak On', 'Work It', 'Lose Control' and all the countless classic clips for an artist who redefined the music video like MTV. Or like bringing all grown up child star Alyson Stoner out to the stage of the VMA's as she becomes the iconic flag planting astronaut for Music Television. Sofa popcorn making it a must to tune into Bass before YouTube and this Spotify just for the sound social generation. All as dynamite dancers to her trademark type skip on her jump rope hair as she pops gum, making noise in the same week as Taylor Swift talks about another 'Lover' for pure pop and fellow genius giants of her genre Raphael Saadiq and Jeezy release new albums to acclaim. And throwing it back like Fabolous in an Elden Campbell Lakers jersey way before white American and the watching world thought it was about sharing pictures on Instagram from last week by Thursday, if Missy hasn't already bodied your favourite rapper again-let alone his-with this old school, beat down beat displaying just how heavy she is with this hip hop s### then, "Missy make up her own rules/Not many can do what I do/So many VMA's that I could live on the moon/Man, I jump and you leap/Better wake up if you sleep/I did records for Tweet before y'all could even tweet" (BOOM X2). Then the Misdemeanor just finished you off like misogynistic rappers who thought they were going to get a happy ending. Nope! The script and song sheet has been flipped by the one whose back to change the game again. Now what did we tell you about those VMA's?

Need to 'Cool Off'? Here's a towel. Because Missy isn't stopping on the second track. Mic in hand even your best hype man couldn't keep up like a one minute man. Because THIS is another Missy Elliott exclusive. "Play this again, I'm finna win/Finna go off, finna go in/Me and my friends, yeah, we on ten/And the song never ends, no, the song never ends/Body shaped like a fisheye lens/I'll make it drop, yeah, I'll make it bend/Cool off 'til I feel the wind/Four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten/Way too high to get over me/Way too low to get under my skin/All the DJ's gon' hit that spin/I'ma play this again and again and again (Stop)" as she goes for four fours like Jay-Z round and round like a ceiling fan over another big beat. Still need that towel? "Do it, do it, do it do it" like Ben Stiller going 'Starsky and Hutch' undercover. The Timbaland reunion produced 'DripDemeanour' featuring Sum1 sounds as fresh and nostalgic as something the Queen M.E. would have done with the Queen Aaliyah back in the day. Whilst Timbo the King comes back on the relationship woes of 'Why I Still Love You' and it's awesome acapella version in the vein of 'It's Real', or 'Take Away' featuring Ginuwine The Bachelor. Featuring amen lyrics like, "Just don't waste up my time/Mm, I go way out my way/Making you satisfied/But it don't matter, boy, how hard I try/You don't care how I be feelin' inside/You gon' make me tell you, "Kiss my ass goodbye"". Whilst showing that Mister Mosley on the beats, riding the snare like a 'Pony' classic can produce just as beautiful ballad as Missy can make it, hitting all the high, right notes. And if this is just a taste test of things to come then we can't wait to order her first full course since 'The Cookbook'. Eat up, because it's going to go down a treat. Now haven't you missed Missy? Let's see what's next from the icons chronology. TIM DAVID HARVEY.

Playlist Picks: 'Throw It Back', 'Cool Off', 'DripDemeanour'.

No comments:

Post a Comment