Contact: tdharvey@hotmail.co.uk Or Follow On Twitter @TimDavidHarvey

Monday 7 March 2022

REVIEW: DOLLY PARTON - RUN ROSE RUN


4/5

Kiss From A Rose. 

'Christmas On The Square' last yuletide season, feels like just an eve ago. But it's March already. Madness! We're almost a quarter of our way through the year and it won't be long before were "cutting down trees" and "putting up reindeer" like Joni Mitchell sang down the 'River' for the most underrated festive feeling song and stream (although not Spotify, as she stands with Neil Young as the 'Harvest' does all of us) this side of Springsteen's American dream. Or for that matter tuning into Parton's testimonial of a traditional festive fairytale from Dollywood. One we still can't believe came as far back as the decades seemingly ago 2020 year of quarantine. Let alone the fact that last Christmas was more than mere months ago. But locking it down in the studio, life goes on as we get back to work this new year like 9 to 5. And in the great American songbook, one of the land of the free's greatest from Nashville, Tennessee has never looked better in a cowboy hat, checked shirt and blue jeans. Complete with a stetson over those signature blonde bombshell curls and her trusty guitar. All as the Nashville skyline Dylan once wrote an album about sets in the background with the sun. Yep, that's right. Dolly is back with 'Run Rose Run' before she co-authors her first novel of the same name with 'Alex Cross' legend James Patterson. All as the 'Jolene' singer will take your tapping feet like that muse did her man.

On the blooming opening of 'Run', Dolly Parton won't stop, singing, "When you find yourself in a mess of trouble/Trapped amongst the trash and rubble/Prayin' for relief but gettin' none/You wanna start your life anew/You just don't know exactly how to/Find your opportunity and run." Just try and tell me our meaning doesn't need a message like this right now. Because it's these dreams that make for the new American anthem for the country of 'Big Dreams and Faded Jeans' that's trying to keep its bootcut work honest, whilst some are disappearing like washed denim. "Put on my jeans, my favorite shirt/Pull up my boots and hit the dirt/Finally doin' somethin' I've dreamed of for years/Don't know quite what to expect/A little scared, but what the heck/My desire is always greater than my fear/Big dreams and faded jeans/Fit together like a team/Always busting at the seams/Big dreams and faded jeans/Just my ol' guitar and me/Out to find my destiny Nashville is the place to be/For big dreams and faded jeans." Inspirationally and lyrically, this one just works like your favourite outfit. Put on your best dress and step out in big boots made for Nancy Sinatra strollin' and run from your 'Demons'. As Parton parts with past pain, singing with Ben Haggard, "I’ve been fighting demons most of my life/So fighting with you makes no sensе/I need some heaven, and I’vе had enough hell/I’m an expert in pain and torment/So if you can’t be with me, then please just dismiss me/I guess when it’s all said and done/We’ve all had our demons/I guess I was dreamin’ to think we could fight them as one." 'Driven' for  more and the perfect soundtrack scoring the road of this Tennessee highway or the one of your own heart. All before the tragic songbook storytelling of a 'Blue Bonnet Breeze' amongst these wind chimes. Reminding you to be aware of the 'Snakes In The Grass' and that, "You’d better move fast/You’ll be poisoned or be strangled to death/Their fangs, they bit deep/And their venom will creep/Inside you ’til you’re gasping for breath."

So cut the grass and the snakes will show as Jay-Z once said on the second 'Blueprint' ("I got to thank my homie Nas for that though.") and dust yourself off as Dolly vows to 'Woman Up (And Take It Like A Man)'. Woman, I feel like some Shania Twain empowerment as the gold standard of country icon status with a crown and throne even Taylor couldn't touch (yet) tells us, "I’m gonna woman up and take it like a man/I’m gonna buckle up, be tough enough/To take control and make demands/Look like a woman, think like a man/Be as good as or better than/Gotta woman up and take it like a man", tells us for the new national anthem like Lana Del Rey's 'Blue Jeans' in the land of faded dreams, coming back awake for the malaise of your weary eyes. 'Firecracker' is car chase music turned all the way up, pedal to metal as the strings of these scorched violins could even start fireworks with the blaze they're about to make from the heat of their friction. But tell me, is there a better whisper than the beautiful ballad of 'Secrets'. "Just know your safe with me" she reassures in reflective messages. "Secrets, you’re good at keeping secrets/Especially your own/You’re not alone/And you’ll feel much better if you try/To put some faith in you and I/I don’t gossip, I don’t lie/Try me Secrets, I’m good at keepin’ secrets/Especially my own." Straight out of Dollywood, this is why like Prince's Paisley Park, this legend has a whole arena of an area named after her. 'Lost and Found' with Josh Nichols for her own vault. Bringing more meaning to subtly searing lyrics like, "Lost count of all the countless things/I’ve lost throughout the years/Lost friends and time and interest in/The things I should hold dear/Lost sleep just pondering the things/That have been lost to me/Especially the loss of love/I’ve need desperately." Bringing Amazing Grace to the organs of this hands together recital. All for the 'Dark Night' of a 'Bright Future' darkest before the dawn, if you just know how to begin again. "Forgiveness is a magic wand, makes things disappear/Kindness wipes away regret, hope can conquer fear/Tenderness, a soothing balm, healing wounds and scars/Love says we can start anew right from where we are," devotions, declared from the heart will help. And as the beautiful 'Love Or Lust' over stirring strings and powerful piano brings this all to a close, Rose. Asking, "Love or lust/Do we doubt, do we trust?/Whatever it is, it’s stronger than us." We know what it is. It's love. Don't run. TIM DAVID HARVEY.

Playlist Picks: 'Big Dreams and Faded Jeans', 'Blue Bonnet Breeze', 'Secrets'.

No comments:

Post a Comment