Contact: tdharvey@hotmail.co.uk Or Follow On Twitter @TimDavidHarvey

Wednesday 30 November 2022

REVIEW: STORMZY - THIS IS WHAT I MEAN


4/5

There's a Storm Coming.

Michael Ebenezer Kwadjo Omari Owuo Jr. is back. Like Kevin Bacon says on that classic pre-cinema, EE advert, "there's a Storm...ZY coming!" He himself this week being stolen away by the 'Guardians of the Galaxy' for a Marvel Special Presentation 'Holiday Special'. But the highlight of the holiday week comes with the tremors of one of the biggest rap albums of the year, a week after rap God Son Nas released his trilogy concluding 'King's Disease III'. The follow-up to 2019's huge 'Heavy Is The Head' with a crown calling for the London rapper with the Union Jack on his Banksy bulletproof vest and so much to say for the people after Brexit and Grenfell. Now raps 'Luther' who has entered a whole new Labrinth of great British rap and grime time gives us one of the biggest albums of the year, not just on the British Isles, this time of the calendar like Adele turning '30' last year. Disturbing London like his temper was more than tiny. All for the spiritual, 'This Is What I Mean'. His most personal project yet, like R&B general Tank's 'This Is How I Feel'. Now, the only thing that stands in the way of the U.K. Jay-Z referencing Hov on 'My Presidents Are Black' like the Jeezy song is the don Cliff Richard. Fun fact, Sir Cliff has a Greatest Hits package whose suited album cover leaning on a car could practically be Shawn Carter's 'Hard Knock Life' for us. "'stead of treated."

The third time is certainly the compelling charm for the game-changing, first supper 'Gang Signs and a Prayer' rapper. All for an album that leaves a heartfelt note at your black door that could be Number 10, rapping on the door of Downing Street. The #Merky and 0207 Def Jam album for your British imprint goes 'Hide & Seek' ("I feel your presence when I'm not around you/Queen in your city, they need to crown you/Holy water, baby, let me drown you/Fire and water, I gotta 'low you/Burn out then reappear/Light still guidin' you home, you know I'm there") over The Shard skyline of London with a kinetic lead single, before playing with 'Firebabe' (your beau's new nickname) for the second street single. But it's the eight-minute wonder opener of 'Fire + Water' on this holy pure and brimstone scorched album that really takes you higher from the outset offset. "Holy Water, can I bless you with it?/I ain't spillin' all my truth to try and stress you with it/I was workin' on my flaws to try impress you with it/And you don't believe the growth but, yeah, I guess you're with it, right?/'Cause fire and fire just makes flames/And water and water just cause floods/You said you're tired, you're tired of these games." Already, it's clear to hear that Michael isn't playing around any more. The sins of a man felt in his repent on a holy album of first-time neutral album artwork promotional photo colours. It's not a campaign for MUJI, but something much more moving. 

Osea Island like a Lenny Kravitz Elutheria provided a great British beautiful backdrop to bake up these bangers. Music camps for a team of world-class musicians (Grades, Juls and P2J amongst many more) in the fresh air of a "free atmosphere" all paid tribute to on Twitter. Teased by the cutting room floor single 'Mel Made Me Do It' and praying to God each and every morning of his studio sessions, Stormzy says this album serves as an "intimate love letter to music" and of course the creator himself. Let alone the one that got away as at his own powerfully vulnerable and personal best, Stormzy shows he is HIM. The title-track echoes this sentiment. As does the ain't too proud to beg 'Please' in all its temptation. "Please, could you lower your tone? (Please)/Please, could you get off my phone? (Oh, please)/And please, leave Meghan alone/I said, please, leave Meghan alone (Woah, woah, woah, oh, please)", he tells us in royal appointment to the crown in the same week Season 5 of the Netflix show shows us exactly what all that did to Charles and especially Diana. Far from a "leave Britney alone" (which still deserves its viral credit), this means so much more to the throne we all watch. 

'Need You' continues the yearn that burns. Whilst 'Sampha's Plea' is a searing big ask on a big album chocked full of formidable collaborations for the record. "I'm down on my knees/And I'm lookin' for the water to be my space/To refresh my faith", the stellar Sampha sings. After that break, Stormzy come storming back with the haunting ghost of the 'Holy Spirit'. A titanic track and one of this set's best. All before, he has 'Bad Blood' like Taylor Swift. Tasting it like wine for your holy communion. The body of this work is bold, beautiful and beyond brilliant. Reaching for a higher power, he finds it on the outstanding outro 'Give It To The Water'. But before all that, it's time to hear how 'I Got My Smile Back'. "They tried to tell us that we can't adjust/Everybody's talkin' culture, but it starts with us/And to be fair, I could've parked the bus/N####s tearin' down my wings, like it ain't hard enough/Was it beginners luck or was it blood of Christ?/They said that it's a fluke, so then, I done it twice", he co-signs, betting on himself as the competition concedes. Now THIS is what WE mean! Mob deeper, and you'll see some of the best storms are quiet ones. Still ready to reign at full force. The head is still heavy. TIM DAVID HARVEY. 

Playlist Picks: 'Fire +Water', 'My Presidents Are Black', 'Holy Spirit'. 

No comments:

Post a Comment