Contact: tdharvey@hotmail.co.uk Or Follow On Twitter @TimDavidHarvey

Thursday 30 March 2023

REVIEW: TYLER THE CREATOR - CALL ME IF YOU GET LOST (THE ESTATE SALE)


4/5

Real Estate. 

Lost? Then never fear. You can call on Tyler, back with more creations. A year after he won the Grammy for the best rap album of 2021, 'Call Me If You Get Lost', he's back with the expanded edition of 'The Estate Sale'. Real talk with DJ Drama talking his s### over it like the Gangster Grillz of Jeezy. And 'Everything Must Go' like thanking the "arenas around the world" on this deluxe intro. Packing his animated bags and making sure his ODB like I.D. is in his back pocket for this itinerary of more Wu-Tang like iconic sounds. Stunting with Vince Staples on 'Stuntman' like a 'John Wick' director. Killing this chapter with a pencil to the scribes of, "I got a jelly bean, kelly green Rolls/And the guts off-white like a jalapeño/Leather hot in here, s### make Nelly sing songs/Big pearls on the belt make my belly seem swole/I'm watchin' Queen Gambit, lookin' like an extra/Different color chess pieces hangin' from my necklace (Bleh)/Stones too heavy, give me red neck, Texas/I cover it with scarves in the closet like my exes/Fiat 151, b####, this ain't a Lexus." Damn the automobile industry hasn't had it this bad since Kanye pushed and ran a Rav4 right out of this town. 

'What A Day' in hip-hop like the beautiful beat and soulful sample of said song. On 'Wharf Talk' with A$AP Rocky, Tyler the Creator wonders what it would be like if "God was here today", yearning to "get lost (together) " on a beautiful, instant classic ode of hope for H.E.R. Singing whilst he's winning, the genius of this genre great, expanding his classic doesn't just have banging bars for the record, but beautiful broods too for you and your boo. But for all these classic farms, it's the single 'Dogtooth' that really has bite. Liking it rough and raw like Ol' Dirty. Shimmying to lyrics like, "She could ride my face, I don't want nothin' in return (Woo)/Because if she get off, then I get off, that's my concern (Oh, man)/I'm tryna buy my neighbor house and turn it to a yard (Yeah, yeah, turn up that s###)/If you don't know my grandma name, then we ain't really dogs." You can tell DJ Khaled ain't backing this one. 

Another one comes in the form of 'Heaven To Me' sampling the legendary 'Heaven' by John Legend. Packing the travel trunk with hits after the surprise single. "The lake water gettin' warmer from the radiant sun/My baby mama and my daughter gettin' chased by my son/The water gun is in his arms, that lil' n#### could run/He get it from his daddy side, you know, them Nigerians/My mama pulled up in a helicopter/Sister in the kitchen, kickin' Jackson, mixin' vodka/After dinner, I'll convince them they should babysit 'em/Me and wifey gettin' ready to go see an opera (Sydney)." Poetry in motion. All the way to a harbour in Australia. Chef's kiss. Bliss. Before the 2020 Demo of 'Boyfriend, Girlfriend' with YG keeps you moving like Blackstreet and Janet Jackson on the telephone with Eve and Ja Rule for a Def Jam of the futuristic early new millennium, twenty years ago. 

The Creator has more hits than he has hats. But putting his hard one on he goes in 'Sorry Not Sorry' in all caps. This Boygenius dropping knowledge on the record on the same day as the Phoebe Bridgers, Julien Baker and Lucy Dacus supergroup. Turning it up taking on those who may call him pretentious and ignorant with his passion and influence. Ending it with two words like Mos, Kanye and Free, none more than they deserve. All to Drama's sign-off as legendary as a Russell Simmons one at a Def Comedy Jam. Saying goodnight after thanking you for coming out. And then, just like tha... TIM DAVID HARVEY. 

Playlist Picks: 'What A Day', 'Dogtooth', 'Heaven To Me' 

No comments:

Post a Comment