Contact: tdharvey@hotmail.co.uk Or Follow On Twitter @TimDavidHarvey

Monday 8 May 2023

REVIEW: LEON BRIDGES - GOOD THING (DELUXE)


4/5

Better Thing. 

Picture the scene if you will. It's 2018. I'm going through the worst year of my life. We don't need to get into any dark details, but it was pretty bleak. Until a note from my dear mother saved me and set me off on a path that now finds me in the Far East, living the best life I've ever had in Japan. We need say no more, but let's just say in 2018 I didn't think I'd even be here...let alone HERE! Life is funny sometimes and a beautiful thing if you let it be. 

What does this have to do with US soul sensation Leon Bridges? Well back in those less than positive times I was harping on about how we had no new heroes in music. Like a Lennon, Springsteen, Marvin, or Sam. How wrong I was with the likes of Leon 'Coming Home' with his vintage era debut of old soul, Maggie Rogers (who Spotify introduced me to right after listening to this album we're about to get into) and Donald Glover AKA Childish Gambino showing us that 'This Is America'. Back at my lowest point I couldn't even muster the meaning to write (my one saving grace). But then working at a local record store. The cinematic opening to Leon Bridges' 'Good Thing', 'Bet Ain't Worth The Hand' came into play. You're so right, brother. 

The video saving lost souls lifted me up with even more meaning. As did the moving and shaking of the 'Bad, Bad News' single and the video's central character confronting her harasser. Then somewhere in Texas like a love I'd later find, but alas lose (but that's life, and when they're happier, you are too) the beautiful video for the great 'Beyond' showed me I could lose my heart again...and be so happy doing it. So now with a nice new track ('Naomi') on a deluxe edition to mark the half decade anniversary (has it really been that long) of 'Good Thing', here's the review I owe you and was always meant to write Leon. Thank you. 

Since then Bridges has got even 'Sweeter' for political protest with Stevie subtlety. He's released a gold standard album with 'Gold-Diggers Sound', riding on his 'Motorbike'. And he's even collaborated with Khruangbin on the 'Texas Sun' and 'Moon' of some epic extended plays. He hasn't stopped and neither have I. Nursing the wounds of 'Forgive You', making some mistakes myself, but always forging ahead, with hope and a full heart. From 'Shy' to 'Lions', 'Good Thing' made men out of mice, and now it's all good times like a show this throwback singer could find a home in. It only took a half-hour, but sometimes you just need a minute or two to turn it all around. 'From Georgia to Texas', 'If It Feels Good (Then It Must Be)', 'Mrs.' On 'You Don't Know' Leon sang, "You don't know/But it's right in front of me/You ain't got to play it cool, baby/Find that fire, set it free," and he doesn't even know the half. "Any time, any place, anywhere, you wake up." Coming home, some albums change the game. Others, change your world. TIM DAVID HARVEY. 

Playlist Picks: 'Bet Ain't Worth The Hand', 'Bad, Bad News', 'Beyond'. 

No comments:

Post a Comment