Contact: tdharvey@hotmail.co.uk Or Follow On Twitter @TimDavidHarvey

Saturday 10 June 2023

REVIEW: JANELLE MONAE - THE AGE OF PLEASURE


4/5

The Pleasure Principle.

Monáe makes the world go 'round. Whether it's the 'Hidden Figures' star literally stealing the show on the double from Rian Johnson and Daniel Craig in the 'Knives Out Mystery' 'Glass Onion' as an actor. Or as an author, writing the science fiction Afrofuturist cyberpunk short story collection 'The Memory Librarian' (thank you for the autographed copy, D) based on her last album (2018's 'Dirty Computer') and the short movie that was printed out under its heading too. Now 'The ArchAndroid' and 'The Electric Lady' is back where she belongs in your speakerboxx. All for an album that's less sci-fi and more Bowie meets Beyoncé. 'The Age Of Pleasure' is here. And it's a deep-dive into the water world of love and the age of Aquarius. This little mermaid, aqua marine, swimming suggestively like a stingray between the middle of your legs for some amazing artwork for your swimming pool nirvana. Never mind anything else. 

This half-hour afrobeat reggae soul power feels like something from the seventies like Jenny Lewis' 'Joy'All'. Also out on the same New Music Friday that Christine and The Queens show you Redcar's 'Paranoïa, Angels, True Love' and many mesmerizing Madonna monologues. Coming out on Wondaland and Bad Boy, Atlantic Janelle's 'Age Of Pleasure' is for everyone as the non-binary star who still goes by she/her pronouns as well as they/them gives us their best record yet. She let her first single 'Float' in your collective Clouds for a minute. And it opens everything here with guest features Seun Kuti and Egypt 80. Inviting a world of wonderful musicians to this pleasure party suitable for all. Yet it's the Met Gala after party debuted 'Lipstick Lover' that really makes you pout as you apply it to your playlist. "I like lipstick on my neck/It let me know I'm your number one select/I like lipstick on my neck/Hands around my waist so you know what's comin' next/I wanna feel your lips on mine/I just wanna feel a little tongue/We don't have a long time." The only thing sexier than the lavishing lyrics is the stunning visuals of the music video. 

Lovers in all their f###ing feeling, the Queen makes us all bow down as low as we can go. Racy to the top of the charts, sex hasn't been this artistic since the days Prince would 'Come' in 'Controversy'. The collaborations are classic too. Something 'Phenomenal' comes with Doechii. And CKay 'Know(s) Better'. Even Nia Long joins Amaarae on 'The Rush' of you know what. But 'Ooh La La' The je ne sais quoi comes when a modern day icon meets a loving legend in the form of Grace Jones (and you thought the Queens and Madonna collaboration was a f###ing monster (it is)). "Ah oui, qu'est-ce que tu fais, tous les deux la?/Vienez-moi tous les deux/C'est est est est ton ami?/C'est ton ami?" Miss Jones asks. Pardoning your French in all her grace. 

Speaking of French and in tongues, we enter the Moulin Rouge in all the district of its red light for the album interlude highlight 'The French 75' featuring Sister Nancy. "Cheers to Paris, the vibes The French Quarter, French kisses/Cheers to the last night, French fries/Partyin' and gettin' f###ed up (Yeah)/Cheers to us not motherf###in' havin' a hangover (Yeah, cheers)/Cheers to us dancin' our asses off (Yes)/Having a good motherf###in' time," she toasts. We'll clink a glass to that. On her 'Champagne S###', Monáe raises even more glasses in spirit for this ice-cold diamond of a cut. All to the sands of a 'Black Sugar Beach' that streams,"I'll be your lottery tonight (Champagne s###)/I'll be your lottery tonight (Champagne s###)/(Champagne s###)/(Champagne s###)/Shake it all up (Hip, hip, hips, shake it all up)/Back that a## up/(Skip, skip, skip, shake it all up)/(Hip, hip, hips)/(Champagne s###)." Still on that bubbly skit until the refrain that likes it raw. Ooh, baby! 

"I'm raisin' the bar, they'rе givin' me stars/They think I'm supreme/They say I look better than/David Bowie in a Moon Age Dream/They keep on gassin' me up/I'm smokin' a pack of that loud/Ain't see me like this in a while/I'm young and I'm Black and I'm wild", the android going up against 'Paranoïa' sings in this sonic oasis. The couture of this 'Haute' is a grand design. Keeping it wet on the pool party 'Water Slide' of this heroine's hedonism. Before we are all 'Paid In Pleasure' with words like "I want my love made to your measure (Measure)/I wanna feel how you fit around me (Mmm)/I don't need money or treasure (Treasure)/Spend your quality time on me (Mmm)", for this age today. All for the best of this good year with one last sip of 'A Dry Red' that makes wine out of your tears for the INXS love of leading man Michael Hutchence whose memory could never be torn apart. 

But for your eyes only it's 'Only Have Eyes 42' in its worthy clever concept that's the real big game. "I like to love with my eyes closed/I try not to lead with my ego/Everything happened in slo-mo/But we all smiled and said, "It's alright"/'Cause you're the one, you're the one/Double the fun, triple the time for love/'Cause you're the one, you're the one/You suck the words from my tongue/That's when I knew." Even after the heavy hitters of a blockbuster last week, this ménage of the big trois of Janelle, Jenny and Christine's painted masterpiece gives us one of the best f###ing weeks of new music. Now, the 'Pleasure' is all yours, and more importantly...hers. TIM DAVID HARVEY. 

Playlist Picks: 'Lipstick Lover', 'Ooh La La (Feat. Grace Jones)', 'Only Have Eyes 42'.

No comments:

Post a Comment