Contact: tdharvey@hotmail.co.uk Or Follow On Twitter @TimDavidHarvey

Saturday 19 August 2023

REVIEW: CIARA - CICI EP


3.5/5

1, 2, Next Step.

Perfect in Cam'ron pink, head-to-toe. A shocking pink, open leather jacket and boots like a panther. Nothing else, but the naked truth and lipstick to match the cap with the brim pulled down low. All for some amazing artwork from the one and only Ciara. This blonde on blonde Barbie is back, and it's officially 'CiCi' season with her nicknamed, self-titled new EP. Her first 'Goodies' since 2019's 'Beauty Marks'. She told you, she'd 'BRB', and like the smooth second track she is. Now, in the same week that she announced her pregnancy with NFL Denver Broncos quarterback, Russell Wilson, Ciara has given birth to her latest extended play. But this one is an independent affair.

'CiCi' is the true evolution of Ciara like her sensational sophomore set. Akin to her self-tilted 2013 album, or the motherhood of 'Jackie' two years after that. This 'Basic Instinct' will take you on a 'Fantasty Ride' of one of the ludicrously great and underrated R&B queens and artists on the throne. One who pushed envelopes with Ludacris and made them move with Missy Elliott and Fatman Scoop. Seven seals for this eight wonder feature Chris Brown and Lil' Baby, on the singles 'How We Roll' and 'Forever' respectively, and Big Freedia on the classic closing 'Winning' that has the sheen of a victory parade. It's when CiCi stands alone, however, that she gives you some amazing album art that you should really make the subject of your next e-mail exchange...if anyone in this TikTok age still uses that thing any more. Word to Luda.

When 'CiCi first came on the scene she broke down barriers. If she danced her first steps in today's day and age, she would have ruled all these new social media platforms from the jump. No matter, Ciara still has the 'hood. Let a great break it down for you when you merely thought this was as good as it gets like Jack Nicholson. Courtside, but in a whole different game, she's 'Low Key' still the one like Shania. Singing with the mischievous tricks of her trade, "PJ taking off, we 'bout to take flight/Cali on a Friday, it's a date night/We might go to Vegas in the same night/Oh, I got on that dress you like to take off (Take it off)/You start to rise before we even take off (We takin' off)/All your hard work is 'bout to pay off/You ready?" Let me see you pop THAT!

Now that's the 'Type Of Party' we can get down with, singing, "This my party, I can go if I want to/This my party, I can drink if I want to/Love who I want to, call who I want to/This my party, I can block who I want to/This my party, I can dance if I want to/This my party, I'll invite who I want to/Post if I want to," turning a classic cliché into a new urban flavour for the hip-hop heads nodding along as they smooth it all down. You'll be '2 In Luv' with is easy going EP like Mr and Mrs. Wilson and their baby brood. 'CiCi' is not Ciara's alter-ego. "It's me" she says, just a little more gritty, and true. Go CiCi, go! Those who know, know. And if you don't, it's like the biggest one said. CiCi is notorious for being another part of Ciara. Now they're synonymous as one. TIM DAVID HARVEY.

Playlist Picks: 'BRB', '2 In Luv', 'Forever (Feat. Big Freedia)'.

No comments:

Post a Comment