Contact: tdharvey@hotmail.co.uk Or Follow On Twitter @TimDavidHarvey

Tuesday 19 September 2023

REVIEW: THIRTY SECONDS TO MARS - IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD BUT IT'S A BEAUTIFUL DAY


4/5

Life On Mars.

200 for 30. Academy Award-winning actor Jared Leto, who we most recently saw enter the Marvel world as 'Morbius', recently revealed to NME magazine that his new double-act Thirty Seconds To Mars got their teeth into a couple of hundred tracks before settling on a 'Stranger Things' number. Even without their guitarist Tomo Miličević, their 11-track album 'It's The End Of The World But It's A Beautiful Day' still keeps a new one in view, like their trademark titles. Long-winded sure, but look up to the Incubus like skies of this Californian act's amazing album artwork, and you too can see it's a beautiful day like Bono. One where you'll feel R.E.M fine even if it really is the end of the world as we know it. This Concord record soars through the friendly Hollywood skies like Pan Am. 

Ladies and gentlemen, as we start our descent, please make sure your seat backs and tray tables are in their full upright position. Make sure your seat belt is securely fastened, and all carry-on luggage is stowed underneath the seat in front of you or in the overhead bins. Thank you. Because here we go. After 'America' in 2018, it's been a long time since we saw 30 (believe me, I'm pushing 40), but after sitting on two albums during the pandemic, now is the right time for Mars to attack like Bruno does the dance floor. Bringing us the opening track and single 'Stuck'. "I've been lost in your eyes all afternoon/The more I drift, the closer I get to you/She's a ghost and the truth, it's impossible, but I love her lies/You make sure I don't find somebody new," Leto laments before telling us 'Life Is Beautiful' on one half of the album's title and a scorching should be summer single. "These scars don't lie I'm livin' in an empty time/Fallin' through space/I'm livin' in an empty place/But one truth that I know/Is that life's beautiful/Life is beautiful/Life is beautiful/Beautiful." Repeat it again and again. Over and over. Crimson and clover. If you're going through it right now, this is the type of amazing affirmation you need in your life...that's still beautiful. Trust me. 

'Seasons' change like people do, but it's time to 'Get Up Kid' on the new anthem. Even if it is "it's bittersweet to love someone but to watch them leave", it's all about the "swing and miss" as you round those bases, babe. Because, "I think that it's so strange what we call love these days/Kinda f####d up and fake/What we call love these days" ('Love These Days') as we swipe at each other like lions, when really we're masquerading like lambs, mutton dressed. So with the 'World On Fire' it's time to hit another 30 Seconds anthem because "life leads us out the dark", so "let there be light" like the genesis of your new beginning on the horizon of all the demons you've defeated and left in your wake. It's time to get up now. '7:1' it's about that time for your new psalm. Sure like the Pretenders new album, also out this week, and the hell this writer is literally going through right now, these kind of end of the world breaks rip you apart. Especially when the love and life was so beautiful. But one thing I know over subtle, but punctuating piano, I'll 'Never Not Love You'. "If it's over and we're going our separate ways/If it's over and I'm wiping the tears from your face/Maybe even if I don't ever see you again/I'll never not need you/I'll never not want you/I'll never not die inside each time I hear your name/I'll never not miss you/If I can't be with you/Even if my last memory was you walking away/I'll never not love you." Sing it again.

You can really feel it. Especially when Leto sings "If I can't be with you" after "miss you" like he was using the F-bomb. Yet as we fly one time again and make it through the clouds, put your hands together for a 'Midnight Prayer' of a better day come morning light. Forget love these days, many people are 'Lost These Days' and whilst singing, "Put you through so much pain/You showed me love somehow/Living a life I left I couldn't hold you down/I'm looking lost these days/Searching for what you found/Being in love with you like dancing with a loaded gun/Stranger in my bed to forget you, but now I know sex don't do it/I got high, I camе down, I called you, I'm not proud/Ten missed calls, I'm donе now", Leto finds a way. A way to put it all in words he's probably regretted he text. Because, hey, we all do it. But maybe we should take a minute and listen to this track with our tears. But as Jared just calls it a curtain with this album with brother and drummer Shannon Leto in Pitbull sunglasses, they end with the spectacle of an 'Avalanche' that comes down with all the walls you built and hurt your tried to avoid. Giving us hope in the end of the hurt with the heart of, "Time, time to live our lives/Set the world on fire/From the ashes, we will rise/You better run fast or get caught in the avalanche (Oh)/Gotta break some rules if you ever wanna win the game (Oh)/Never say no, never ever get to Neverland (Oh)/You better run fast or get caught in the avalanche (Hey)." We will rise again. With not one, but two amazing break up records this week that will go down as some of the best this year as the summer love ends, but the music keeps us together. TIM DAVID HARVEY. 

Playlist Picks: 'Life Is Beautiful', 'Never Not Love You', 'Avalanche'. 

No comments:

Post a Comment