Contact: tdharvey@hotmail.co.uk Or Follow On Twitter @TimDavidHarvey

Friday 20 October 2023

REVIEW: THE ROLLING STONES - HACKNEY DIAMONDS


4/5

Hackney's Finest.

Diamonds, like Stones, are forever. 'Hackney Diamonds' is London slang for the shattered glass left in the wake of an estate burglary. Hackney, in particular, being an inner-city target that makes you want to holler like Marvin to the rock and roll, soulful sounds that are coming out of this jewel case. All the way to the originator Muddy Waters finale for those 'Rolling Stone Blues'. As soon as you saw that iconic tongue, between red lips of the pages of the Hackney Gazette, you knew it was on. The 24th album and first of original songs (since 2005's 'A Bigger Bang') in 18 years. Also, sadly, the first album without the skin styles of late, legendary drummer Charlie Watts. Although he'll always be good tonight. He's even posthumously here to 'Mess It Up' and 'Live By The Sword', which he recorded before he died. Living on in an iconic drumroll that will gather more legend than moss. 

The Stones are so legendary, the world's most famous rock magazine was named after them. Like they're the first thing you think about when the name of one of the most famous Bob Dylan songs comes up. Simply put, they're right there with another fab four in a debate of the greats like Michael Jackson or Prince (the purple one). No other comparison comes close. But Mick, Keith and Ronnie bring out the big guns and names for these 'Diamonds' like a Bond girl's best friend. And we ain't just talking about the 'Angry' single in all its fabulous fury starring actress of the moment Sydney Sweeney lighting up the screen. The epic Excalibur 'By The Sword' also features former Stone Bill Wyman in a wonderful reunion. Not to mention the great retirement tour glasses on top of the piano of big ballpark hitter Elton John. Also offering his ivory to 'Get Close'. "Listen, I walk the city at midnight with the past strapped to my back/Lately I can't get no sleep, I'm a real insomniac/I was chatting with a ghost, wants a hundred and a match/Says, "I know you got the money, where's the man behind the mask?"" How's that for some Jagger/Richards (and producer Andrew Watt) songwriting? Legendary like Lennon and McCartney. 

Even with the great of our generation, born star, Lady Gaga singing soulful backing on the 'Sweet Sounds Of Heaven' that soar in closing like a gunning maverick of the skies. Co-piloted with another timeless legend in the keys of Stevie Wonder's life. There's one collaboration you crave that you never saw coming. Yep, former rival and forever friend Macca himself, Paul McCartney is here. One week after 'Feeling The Sunlight' for Ringo Starr's new 'Rewind Forward' EP. And as the two biggest British bands of all-time, who made the whole world their stage are really taking it back, Paul gives 'Bite My Head Off' real bass. All whilst Mick licks, "Yeah, if I was a dog/Yeah, you would kick me down/I'd be spendin' the night/Howlin' 'round your house/But I ain't on a leash, yeah/Well, I ain't on a chain/You think I'm your b####/I'm f#####' with your brain, yeah." Pardon the French that is being kissed off those famous lips, but the Jagger swagger is back, baby! 

For all the dogs, this generation may have been waiting all year for the latest Drake, but what a time to be absolutely alive when a new Rolling Stones album comes out on the same day as a new Scorsese film ('Killers Of The Flower Moon' starring Mary's boys Leo DiCaprio and Bobby De Niro, and a revelatory Lily Gladstone). With a dagger to the Gaga like diamond heart on the album's amazing artwork set to tour stadiums of the world, this Polydor record was cut everywhere from Bob's Greenwich, to Electric Lady. Not to mention The Bahamas and London Metropolis in-between. The Hit Factory has churned out another blues rock classic like the alive live act's last studio album, the beautiful brood of 'Blue & Lonesome' standards for your London evenings. This brown sugar for your Sunday morning coffee was enough to make a grown man cry, but by 'Ruby Tuesday', the party is still going on in 'Hackney' with this one. No need to hail a black cab. This band's going nowhere. The stones are still rolling. 

Jimmy Fallon livestreams. Paul Smith fashion designs in London and Tokyo high-street shops. The promotion was palpable, because you feel this tongue lashing as the band sings in your ear. Major League Baseball and FC Barcelona uniforms. They still swing big...and score! The 'Whole Wide World' can feel it like, "The streets I used to walk on/Are full of broken glass/And everywhere I'm looking/There's memories of my past." Like the 'Uptown Funk' of Bruno Mars you can count on them like they are 'Depending On You' as fans. Don't believe me? Just watch Jagger sing, "Your fingerprints in the dark/Your past and present tangle up in my arms/Our secrets sealed in our scars/Sharing a smoke on the steps of a bar/I was convinced I had your heart in my hands/I was making love into our different plans." Beautiful. These 'Dreamy Skies' made a sunset reality like flags flying above a Glastonbury set in salute. 

Harry Styles may have the swag, look and act ('Dunkirk', 'Don't Worry Darling') to play Mick in a biopic one day for his next direction. But even that terrific talent will never have it as it was. "Look what you've done to me/You've emptied my eyes/I twisted my sanity/And all you had to do was cry", Jagger sings with a jagged edge on the heartbreaking highlight 'Driving Me Too Hard' as he continues that anything but slow roll with no steady decline in sight. Time is still on his side. Yes it is. Only bested by the chaser of Keith Richards' 'Tell Me Straight' for all those who need that solidarity in closure, "Ooh, you're runnin' too fast/Tell me straight/I need an answer, how long can this last?/Just tell me straight, don't make me wait/Is my future all in the past?/Yeah/Tell me straight, tell me straight." Reminding us of the times the life of Jack Sparrow's dad ("sea turtles mate". And how about that for an iconic Rolling Stone cover?) had the 'Illusion' of a 'Crosseyed Heart' with the likes of a smoky and smouldering Norah Jones. As the sweet seven minute 'Sounds Of Heaven' segue into the Muddy Waters of how this band got their name, The Rolling Stones have not forgotten where they came from. Somewhere in Hackney, you can mine diamonds that will shine brighter than the glass ceiling this raw and raucous record has just shattered. TIM DAVID HARVEY. 

Playlist Picks: 'Bite My Head Off (Feat. Paul McCartney)', 'Tell Me Straight', 'Sweet Sounds Of Heaven (Feat. Lady Gaga)'.

No comments:

Post a Comment