Contact: tdharvey@hotmail.co.uk Or Follow On Twitter @TimDavidHarvey

Monday 20 November 2023

REVIEW: DRAKE - SCARY HOURS 3 EP


4/5

After Dogs.

The dogs have had their day, so now it's high chow time for the surprise threequel conclusion to Drake's 'Scary Hours' extended plays. It's not even Halloween any more, yet the Durantula, Phoenix Sun's NBA superstar Kevin Durant executive produces in-part this third EP as the hours set. The only thing that was stopping this post 'For The Dogs' set was Taylor Swift. After '1989', the real version, Drizzy Drake waited for a blank space in the fall music schedule to write his name. Although coming out on the same day as his old friend Lil' Wayne's album with 2 Chainz 'Welcome To Collegrove', not to mention experimental epics from 'Rockstar' Dolly Parton and OutKast's Andre 3000's first new album in 17 years under a 'New Blue Sun' playing a flute, is no mean Feat. But as Aubrey says about the 'Red' album maker, pushing the 'Red Button', "Taylor Swift the only n---- that I ever rated/Only one could make me drop the album just a little later/ Rest of y’all, I treat you like you never made it." Shall we tell him? Make if it what you will on a play that also storms the stage and talks about his love/hate relationship with Kanye West. Can we expect another showdown on 'Donda'?

Heading to 'Virginia Beach' like Clipse and Pharrell with Frank Ocean, Drake deluxe open things like the vivid views from a beautiful balcony. "Lean in, lean in soda, Fanta, fantasizin'/That's not love you're in, it's more like compromisin'/I move mountains for you, f### that social climbin'/Lean into me, lean into me/Yeah, lean in, lean into me." Sun kissed with a roofing bliss, this is him at his best. With Teezo Touchdown taking off from the studio runway as the faders are pushed up like planes on tarmac, Toronto's very own gives us November in all its fall nuance, just after the month he calls his. Putting his hands together for 'Amen' he prays, "God, forgive me/Father, I've sinned/Sent more than your father ever sent/Spent more than your baby father did/And you my baby, so I gotta put you in the crib/Same neighborhood where Ashton Kutcher live/I'm just doin' what that punk should have did (Thank You, Lord)/She prayin' for me while I'm on the road/Prayin' for me while I hold her close/Prayin' that there's not no other girl/I'm prayin' that these girls'll never know." His collaboration like Chainz and Wayne with 21 Savage is still 'Calling For You' like King James putting up billboards in year 21, down in Hollywood. Can you do something for me with lyrics like, "I was in the club 'fore she even had it/She was twenty-one, I don't see a savage/She wanna be the one, she know I'm comin' static/She wanna hold the gun, if you want it, you can have it/Shawty still young, so she don't know the classics/I see her body, one-of-one, yeah." With his eyes on you like Hall & Oates, hold on! We ain't going home yet.

Because that's 'For The Dogs', for example. The 'Hours' Drake puts in to expand this edition go harder still. On 'Stories About My Brother' this conductor tells us like a Bradley Cooper maestro, "This is the decompress before the intermission/Done a lot of postgame talkin', but this one different/I told Lee to put him in the car, but don't pistol whip him/And definitely do not shoot his ass 'til you get permission/People got a heavy misread on my disposition/Talkin' loose, then hit me up after on some "Please, Drake listen, listen"/Energy they bringin' is inconsistent", on the most prolific year, or time to be alive, of his career. 'The Shoe Fits' and this rapaholic and genre great who has become a massive mainstream, music monster wears it like Jordan's fresh out the box. Lacing us with J. Cole about their 'Evil Ways' on another classic collaboration heater for all you sinners on a collection that like Cole's world has no more guest features unlike 50 Cent narrating Weezy and Tity Boi. 

That is, unless you count Keanu Reeves, as OVO's compares himself to the Baba Yaga John in his latest chapter of cuts with 'The Wick Man'. The fire from this man on wax won't flicker like a candle, but before he's out on this pink angelic album that rocks like a Smashing Pumpkins set, he talks about the one who 'Broke My Heart'. "My notepad caught many bodies/Screenshots solved plenty problems/Voice notes bagged plenty hotties/Can't just talk to me like anybody/Can't just talk to me like anybody/Man, you b#####s know that I'm a somebody/And lil' baby bad, she got a drum body/Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah/Bunch of feelings I just couldn't shake/Disrespect that I just shouldn't take/You just couldn't see the good in Drake/Four months not a long time, but you f####d somebody, you just couldn't wait/You broke my heart, you broke my heart." Damn! Crestfallen like that and still creating and crafting classic?! Straight scary. TIM DAVID HARVEY.

Playlist Picks: 'Red Button', 'The Wick Man', 'Evil Ways (Feat. J. Cole)'.

No comments:

Post a Comment